Amazing Lotus Mandala TattooBack Tattoo / Black & Grey / Other Tattoos
Lotus Mandala Tattoo
When you consider the various meanings of the lotus, it’s obvious why it shows up in so many mandalas. Its particularly common in meditation designs that adherents stare at for hours on end to work towards reaching enlightenment.
The artwork either features a limited number of petals with other meanings, like eight or nine to represent the sacredness of these numbers, additional geometric symbols used to symbolize the true number.
The Top 5 Most Popular Mandalas Featuring Lotuses
There are hundreds of lotus mandalas to choose from, so let start with the five most popular & common designs before diving in too deep.
- Garbhadhatu Mandala – This symbolizes the Buddhist Womb Realm, where many deities from Japanese and Chinese sects of Buddhism reside. Dozens of deities surround the central lotus, making it difficult to recreate due to all the fine details.
- Sri Yantra – Yantras are esoteric works of art very similar to mandalas. This yantra features sixteen lotus petals surrounding a complicated set of interlocking triangles, and it symbolizes non-duality.
- Nava Padma Mandala – A very lotus-centric design with a large flower in the center used for Parameshwara initiation ceremonies.
- Ganesha Yantra – This Hindu symbol represents the deity known as Ganesha or Ganapati, who clears away obstacles for devotee.
- The Trident Yantra – A symbol of the wrathful and warlike aspect of Shiva, this symbol pairs a peaceful lotus with a pointy trident to show the resolution of contradictions like war & peace.